School Environments Charter: A Blueprint for Britain's SchoolsToday, we are launching our School Environments Charter: A Blueprint for Britain's Schools (Download the pdf here School_Environments_Charter.pdf). You can sign up to it online here.
In this joint BCSE/Centre for School Design charter we are asking all teachers, governors, parents, MPs and prospective parliamentary candidates, councillors and local authorities across the country to engage with and support this charter. We identify five areas in our call to action:
* The creation of a decent school standard -- that refects a national consensus about what makes great school environments and what constitutes high quality teaching, learning and design
* A zero tolerance approach to bureaucracy - millions of pounds are still being wasted in the current school building programmes that should be going to the frontline
* A recognition that 80% of the school estate is beyond its design life -- there should be local and national action to ensure all facilities are fit for purpose
* A greater understanding of the clear link between school environments and raising standards -- school buildings and facilities are the 'third teacher' and every OfSTED inspector, teacher and staff member should have access to this knowledge
* A blueprint for schools to be developed -- that draws on the latest research into creating an optimum learning environment for staff and young people
We hope you will sign up to the charter and pass it on. You can spread the word on Twitter using the #schoolscharter hashtag and this shortlink: http://tinyurl.com/schoolscharter