Manifesto for learning environments - a call to action
'Manifesto for learning environments -- a call to action', published by the British Council for School Environments (BCSE) and the British Educational Suppliers Association (BESA), identifies a number of core principles which taken together support the creation of truly effective environments for learning.
These core areas include:
- - Ensuring design is focussed on the needs of teaching and learning.
- - Guaranteeing participation in the design, build and equipping process by children, teachers and other 'experts' who will use the new buildings.
- - Ensuring schools are built to sustainable standards.
- - Streamlining procurement processes to make them easier for all those involved in building and equipping schools, allowing room for choice and diversity.
- - Promoting ideas of quality design and standards to develop safe, attractive and functional buildings and equipment.
- - Encouraging a 'small school' culture to help nurture individual development and innovation.
- - Testing innovation by encouraging all those who design, build, manage and equip schools to challenge the status quo around learning environments design and resourcing.
To read the manifesto click here